Monday, October 28, 2013

"give yourself grace"

Today I read the phrase "give yourself grace," which immediately got me thinking.  I'm not perfect - if I make a goal to do something every day or to never do it, chances are good that I'll miss at least one of those days.  But Christ offers us grace, so why shouldn't we offer it to ourselves?  This phrase can apply to so many different situations.  The author who used it was referring to blogging on a schedule but allowing yourself breaks when you need them.  I immediately thought of my friend Kathleen's post about appreciating yourself, including your body.  It could also be applied to how often you clean your house or practice your instrument.  Maybe you have a personality trait that you wish were different.  Whatever the imperfection, "give yourself grace."  Don't punish yourself for every flaw or misstep.  Allow yourself grace.  When you maintain a positive attitude about yourself, it's easier to recognize that changes don't happen immediately and then continue to make small improvements.  Then maybe you'll have to give yourself grace less often. :)




___________________________________________

"'Hagrid, you live in a wooden house.'"  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

0 comments:

Post a Comment