Thursday, May 24, 2012

overheard

I spent some time weeding and watering the yard today, and here are some gems I overheard as the neighborhood kids walked home from school and played at the playground...

Boy 1: BYU stinks!
Boy 2: BYU is AWESOME!
(repeat)

All boys: 1, 2, 3, not it!
(repeated x1,000,000 so quickly I'm not sure what "it" had to do - maybe say "1, 2, 3" the next time?)


Boy: I'M A PUPPY DOWG!

Boy: Hey, sweet! I found a rotten corn dog over here!



Girl: Partly because I'm your sister and I... (unintelligible)
Boy: (unintelligible)
Girl: Well, daddy long legs are poisonous.  You can ask someone you trust even more - Dad.
Boy: Don't snap talk at me.
Girl: I AM NOT SNAP TALKING AT YOU! YOU SNAP TALKED AT ME FIRST! [At this point they were right in front of me, and I can't imagine her ever being able to scream any louder.]
Boy: Fine.
Girl: Do you know what you just did?  That was snap talking, when you said "Fine."
Boy: (sigh)
Girl: That was snap talking.
Continue snap talking examples.  Fade out.


As you can see, I live in a neighborhood with some awesome kids, some of whom don't know what snap talking is.  (Although I have to admit, I'd never heard the phrase before today.)  The corn dog boy's excitement even made me want to go over and see that tasty food!  I'm also proud of the BYU boy.

(And Girl, if your brother was snap talking at you because he didn't believe that daddy longlegs spiders are poisonous, then I'm afraid to inform you that he is in the right here.  The idea that they are the most poisonous* spiders in the world but have mouths too tiny to bite humans is, in fact, false.)



*Also, Girl, it may interest you to know that poisonous  venomous, and spiders who kill by biting fall into the latter category.  (  ladder)

2 comments:

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

Ha! I love the corn dog comment!

Kathleen said...

rotten corndogs always brighten up my day.

Post a Comment