Monday, January 19, 2015

because you asked: in stitches

(this post written last Monday)

I got stitches today.  WHAT?!   It doesn't seem real yet.  Stitches seem like something monumental or that you plan for (even though I know they're not).  Here's what happened... 

Alright, that pizza dough will be ready to bake right after piano lessons.  Nice!  I'm excited for that.  Ok, it's 3:25.  They'll be here really soon!  I should move these stacks of tile so they have a way to get into the piano room.  Oh, these are a little heavier than I thought.  Woah, especially that pile.  I'll just put it down so I can take them a couple at a -- "OUCH!"  [Looks down]  Oh my gosh, my hand is *covered* in blood.  I'm going to get it all over the carpet!  [jolt]  Hellooo.  It's not on the carpet yet!  Just use your other hand to hold it and go wash it off.  [So I did.]  [Wash hand in sink.  Take hand out of water.  It immediately is covered in blood again.  The doorbell rings.]  What should I hold this with?  I don't want to ruin the - oh well, it's just a towel.  "Oh, hi!  How am I?  Actually, I just cut myself really bad.  Can I have a minute?"  I tried to get a bandaid and Piano Lesson helped me put it on.  Four seconds later... "Maybe you should just keep using the towel because you're already dripping through the bandaid."  "Oh, sorry...  Oh my gosh, I hope I didn't drip on her!  Do you mind if we don't do piano today?  I don't think I could concentrate."  I then went into shock, suddenly feeling freezing cold, covered in sweat, and holding back vomit.

She left and I called Joel.  "Do you need me to come home?"  "I don't know. but I can't make dinner tonight."

Kids: "Have they come yet?  Can we have our popcorn?"  Me: "I will come downstairs and watch the movie with you, but please don't talk to or play with me."  

Then I called Dad, holding back tears because I was starting to visualize how bad it was, and asked what to do.  "How long has it been bleeding?"  "What time is it?"  "Quarter til the hour."  "Ok, then 15 minutes."  "You should call Joel and have him come home and take you to the doctor."  My dad is amazing, by the way, and always makes me feel better in these kinds of situations.  He is so calm and knows everything.

"Joel?  I called my dad and he says you need to come home."  And Joel immediately left work.

I sat by the Lovesac putting pressure on my finger, clenching my teeth and occasionally moaning when the pain got awful.  Accidentally raised my voice once at Child A when I'd found a comfy position resting on the Lovesac and he decided to use that moment to jump on it.

Joel got home.  We went in the bathroom to check and see if it was still bleeding.  It was.  35 minutes.  We called a friend, who rushed over and ran in.  I am so thankful for her.  We left and were checked in at the Instacare by someone much more concerned with the person on the telephone, and proceeded to wait in the waiting room.  65 minutes.  Teeth were clenching so hard.  Joel was trying his best to distract me with conversation.  "I'm sorry, I'm trying - I'm just not a conversationalist."  We were called back!  His name was Dr. Totem-bootie.  (That's just how it sounded, I'm sure.:)  Blood pressure and weight taken.  My BP is really good! especially considering the circumstances.  The nurse took off the towel - "Oh yeah, this needs stitches."  Great.  She washed it and numbed me up.  The numbing shots stunk!  Because of the location of the cut, the needle kind of had to be parallel to my finger.  If you've never had a shot like that in your finger, pray you never do.  Especially not a million so the numbing medicine is everywhere.  On the plus side, man! that stuff works!  It is amazing that a doctor can sew you up without you feeling a thing.  "All done! Look!"  Why in the world did you tell me to look at THAT when you knew I was consciously not watching you work?  That is DISGUSTING.  So I looked away.

Tetanus shot = easiest thing ever.  (and not just comparatively speaking)  She washed my finger again, bandaged me up huge with a lot of absorber pads because I was bleeding again, and we were done!  Not quite painless, but it sure was quick and relatively easy. 



Awards go to Joel, Friend, and my dad, for making the night infinitely better than it could've been.  Also, to Panda Express for our dinner, and the kids, for being really good while it mattered.  Other thankfuls: 1) My finger is not missing.  2) It was me and not the kids.  

Now, when to bake the pizza dough that's been rising for hours....




___________________________________________

“I’ll distract them all,” Luna said.  “Use your cloak.”
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

3 comments:

Holland Hettinger said...

Arghhhhh 😩 but great storytelling! Sorry about your finger!!!!!

Tracie said...

Ouch! So glad you had help when it mattered and you still have a finger :) but about the pizza... you will likely never make it again without thinking of your stitches.

Annegirl said...

I have had stitches in multiple places (dangit.) and the hand is the worst! All those nerves making the numbing AWFUL!! Way to be brave! It's totally a pain to keep stitches in your hand clean/dry--totally recommend dish washing gloves for every dirty hand activity!

Post a Comment