Thursday, October 14, 2010

alisonism #8: blogs. Watch out - it's long!

I like to read blogs, but not just any blogs.  I don't usually read blogs about people's lives, like Pioneer Woman, unless they're my friends.  I don't usually read funny blogs unless it's for just a few minutes; I rarely return to the same one twice. (exceptions: cakewrecks and the g-rated page of failblog)  I definitely don't read boring professional or technical blogs, even Joel's (although I do think the website address is fun:).  I don't read blogs about losing weight or spiritual blogs or school-related blogs or company's blogs.  
So. What kinds of blogs do I read?

I read a couple of blogs with coupons and other good deals, but I try to spend as little time as possible on those.  I mostly use them for the heads-up on free samples.
I like some cooking blogs, but so many of them use a billion ingredients that I don't have and will probably never pay for, or use recipes that take longer than an hour, which is about my limit on how long I want to take making just one thing. 
I sometimes look at crafty blogs, but many of those just turn out very homemade-looking stuff that I will never use in my house.  Not that I mind homemade-looking - I just don't want my house to look like it's only decorated in cardboard boxes and popsicle sticks in disguise.  There will be plenty of room for those when I have children. :)

But.  I really love sewing blogs.  They are my absolute favorite.  I love reading what people can make for themselves and their children, and I have a few projectscannot wait to try.  I can - and have - spend hours perusing my favorite sewing blogs, seeing things I want to try, wishing I had money and a room just for my sewing stuff.  See, I have this weird confidence towards sewing - for some reason, I really feel like I can make just about anything that I would want to make, as long as I have some kind of pattern.  And actually, with many things, I don't even feel like I need a pattern - just an idea of what I want.  That's not to say I want to make everything.  I will probably never make another button-up shirt in my life, and I think that something incredibly fancy like a wedding dress would probably be more stress than it was worth.  But I still think I could do them if I wanted to.  And there are so many things I want to try.  The only reasons I haven't are time and space.  (schoolwork + tiny house = not much time or space for sewing!)


I could keep going, but instead I'll stop.  And just for fun, I'll leave you with links to some of my favorite blogs, in case you want to check them out.



Although not an extensive list of pretty blogs I read, here are some of my most favorite not-family-or-friends blogs.  :)

Bedzine - a blog about cool furniture
Dare to be Remarkable - interested in beautiful stuff?
MADE - LOVE LOVE LOVE.  If you only look at one of these, please look at this one.
Saltwater Kids - still deciding if it's favorite or not.
smitten kitchen - sometimes expensive or gross-looking recipes.  Otherwise, fun.
The Good Report - Still figuring this one out.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

i really like "Made!" nice!

Tiana said...

How sweet of you to put me in your "most favorite" line up! I am honored!!! Also, thanks for sharing those blogs, I definitely added a few to my favorites. I love discovering new ones :)

Jessica said...

I LOVE that circle skirt :) I think I will have to make it for Kiah... and myself :)

Alison said...

I love it, too! I can't wait until I have the time to make it :)

Post a Comment