Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sunday: Otra pachanguita!

Today at church, Nate played a piano song during sacrament meeting.  He did a good job :) 


After church, Jill wasn't feeling good so she went right home, but I went to Emma and Cassyi'e house to make lime bars! They live pretty far away - they live further than anyone else from the group - so their mom, Malena, picks them up from church.  That was kind of nice :) Also, it's funny, they said yesterday when we decided to make lime bars today, "Just so you know, we'll probably go to Costco for lunch, because we usually do on Sundays."  I guess Malena doesn't like to cook on Sundays or something.  But we did end up going to Costco to get pizza, which was weird but also tasty :)  Also, Malena is super nice. And rich! They live in this super pretty house in a gated community! With a doorman guy at the fence and he only opens the gate for you if he recognizes you! It's pretty cool :D 


When we got there, we ate lunch and then set about making the lime bars, using this recipe for lemon bars: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/05/glazed-lemon-bars/.  We just figured that, since limes are abundant here, we should take advantage of them... and we were right!  Oh man.  They turned out soooooooo delicious!  That recipe is definitely a keeper.  I only got to try them super hot (they were sooooo delicious and got me excited for later, when they were cooled down!), and then I decided that since the girls who live close were having a pachanguita tonight that Cassyie was going to go to, the lime bars could cool in their fridge and I would go home and take a nap and Cassyie could bring me a couple at the pachanguita.  Perfect :)  Cassyie and Emma are a lot of fun; I like hanging out with them.  I can definitely see myself being friends with them when we get back, for sure. Oh yeah, it was interesting - I've thought a few times that it would've been fun to have sisters our age in the house, but Cassyie and Emma have two sisters our age and I decided at their house that I'm really thankful for the family I have.  I feel more self-conscious with the older siblings, and not only about language.  I feel like I have to dress right or look cute or be funny or something.  I'm so thankful for Ariana, Carmita, Sergio, and Mariela.  They're the perfect siblings.  :)


Well, when we got the lime bars in the fridge, Cassyie and Emma walked me out to the bus stop and I went home.  Tony was there, but I decided to call people instead.  I had told Carrie that I would call her on skype, and I also wanted to call Mom/Dad/Kelli/Rachel, so I did that.  I talked to Carrie for an hour, Mom/Dad/Kelli/Rachel for an hour, and then rested for a while.  Then, Jill wasn't ready yet, so I decided to head out to the pachanguita at the girls' house!  I wanted to be close to on time just in case it didn't last long, since last week's was so much fun :)


The pachanguita was so fun! They totally have the perfect house for parties! When we got there, they had ice cream and a few toppings and pop, so that was fun.  I've been nervous to try bananas here since I don't like them ripe, but I had some on my ice cream with some oreos and they were the best bananas I've ever had!  They weren't even perfectly yellow with green at the top - they were spotty brown, but the texture and taste were so perfect!  mmmmm.  I couldn't believe how yummy they were.

While I was eating my ice cream (btw - we were all super thankful for the ice cream because it was HOT tonight in their house), I was sitting with Cassyie and we met two girls named Jeannety and Yara and they are hilarious and so much fun!  I just want to hang out with them all the time!  They were so funny!  It took me FOREVER to remember Jeannety's name - like, literally all night.  And I practiced over and over again all night.  They kept teasing me about it, but it's a hard name! :)  Yara's name definitely took way less time to remember :D  I also met...



*a boy named Daniel from the ward (he looks a little older, but I don't know exactly how old he is; he's the one from church who always plays the hymns in church; I found out he's actually a concert pianist, too, which is cool.  Also, Michelle actually met him before we came! I guess he has a friend in Salt Lake or something that he went to visit, and that friend happens to live in her ward, so she met him)

*Uri - He came with Daniel and is 27, so I assume they're close in age.  He's a kindergarten teacher.  He also told me something interesting - When I asked his age, he wouldn't tell me.  Finally I asked him why he didn't want me to know his age, and he said that when people know your age, they automatically form opinions of how you should be and who you should be and what you should be doing, and he doesn't want people to develop those pre-conceived ideas about him.  Interesting, huh?  Because it's true - people do do that, I'd never noticed before.)

*Jonatan - I don't really know anything about him, to be honest.  I know he's getting ready to go on a mission, I'm friends with him on facebook because everyone talks about him so I figured I'd meet him sooner or later, and he ALWAYS says "Pórtate bien!"  It's weird but also really funny :) Well, it was weird and then I teased him about it tonight and he laughed like it was all a big joke, so now it's funny :)

And I had a lot of fun with Markz, Beto, Tony (all Mexicans I knew before today), and Mari (girl from the group) and the girls who hosted it (Adrienne, Michelle, Jen, and Cat) before people all started getting there.  The group and the Mexicans together are so much fun!  I love them!

The pachanguita was so fun!  We ate our tasty treats, sat around and talked, played Jenga blind like last week :) Then a bunch of people wanted to play Mafia, which none of the Mexicans knew how to play, so we taught them how and played a couple of times.  It was super funny - the first game, when we were accusing people, I accused Beto just because he was sitting across the circle from me and was the first person I saw, but then the entire group turned on him and voted him out on the first round, just because I'd randomly picked his name and he'd gotten so defensive!  It was super funny. :)

Tony took us home at the end of the night, and like always, I should've gone to bed already, but everything was just so fun! I hope they have a party like this at their house for the rest of the Sundays.  Their house is so perfect.  Our house was great for how many people came last week, but probably twice the people came this week.  They would NOT have fit in our house.

Oh yeah, I forgot - Tonight I tried to do indexing, but it stopped working again.  For some reason, every time I want to do indexing, I have to un-install and re-install the program to get it to work.  It's annoying.  Maybe Grandma knows why or can help me.  

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a sister named Yara. :)

Post a Comment