Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Boy, why are you crying?


Well, I finally finished it!  Yes, it did take me a despicable amount of time:) but I loved it!  It was really fun to reread this book.  It's so different than you expect it to be.  I'd even read it before and was surprised by a lot!  I remembered being surprised at how violent it was; I was surprised this time by how funny it was.  I also love when books' narrators are almost their own character, and there's a lot of that in Peter Pan.  It's really fun :) For example, towards the end, the narrator is talking about how maybe we should tell Mrs. Darling that the kids are coming back, but she'd ruin the fun, or maybe we could do this fun thing, but she'd ruin it, or maybe we could do that fun thing, but she'd suck the fun out, and then he says, 
You see, the woman [Mrs. Darling] had no proper spirit. I had meant to say extraordinarily nice things about her; but I despise her, and not one of them will I say now…. However, as we are here we may as well stay and look on.  That is all we are, lookers-on.  Nobody really wants us.  So let us watch and say jaggy things, in the hope that some of them will hurt.
AND THEN, two pages later, he's describing how she much she misses her children and says, 
...I find I won't be able to say nasty things about her after all.  If she was too fond of her rubbishy children she couldn't help it... Some like Peter best and some like Wendy best, but I like her [Mrs. Darling] best.  Suppose, to make her happy, we whisper to her in her sleep that the brats are coming back.
What in the world?  He goes from hating her to being her biggest fan - in two pages!  Hilarious.  I literally laughed out loud.

Anyway, I'll repeat what I've said before - if you've never read Peter Pan, you should give it a go.  I think you might love it.  :)





___________________________________________



"[Hook] was not wholly evil; he loved flowers (I have been told) and sweet music (he was himself no mean performer on the harpsichord);" - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

0 comments:

Post a Comment