Sunday, January 29, 2012

some helpful reminders

This weekend has been hard for me, student teaching-wise.  I'll most likely be the only one in the classroom tomorrow.  Plus, we planned to try a new kind of lesson and aren't sure how it'll work.  Plus, I'm getting observed tomorrow.  During my hardest class.

So, needless to say, there's been some overwhelm-age and some nervousness in our house today.  But tonight I was reading a blog I really like and found some great reminders.  Here they are, just in case you need some, too.

1. You are what you are and you have what you have, right now.  [Including knowledge.]

2. It's healthy to shed your tears.  The sooner you do, the sooner you will be able to smile again.  And a smile doesn't always mean someone is happy.  Sometimes it simply means they are strong enough to face their problems [or hard things].  [I haven't been crying all over the place today, just so you know.  I just liked that quote:)]

3. Get out there and try!  Either you succeed or you learn a vital lesson.  Win-win.

4. You have the capacity to create your own happiness.  A smile is a choice, not a miracle.  [Although it is my opinion that sometimes it's both.]

5. Emotionally separate yourself from your problems.  You are far greater than your problems.  And that means you’re more powerful than them – you have the ability to change them, and to change the way you feel about them.

6. Don't let others make decisions for you.  Sometimes you just have to live not caring what they think of you and prove to YOURSELF that you’re better than they think you are.

7. You're not alone.  Everyone has problems.

8.  Mistakes are important to make. 

9.  What others think and say about you isn’t all that important.  What is important is how you feel about yourself. 

10.  You are ONLY competing against yourself.  When you catch yourself comparing yourself to a colleague, neighbor, friend, or someone famous, stop!  Realize that you are different, with different strengths – strengths these other people don’t possess.  Take a moment to reflect on all the awesome abilities you have and to be grateful for all the good things in your life.

3 comments:

Annegirl said...

Student teaching can be so overwhelming sometimes, but hang in there! I am sure you are great. And even for the days you might not reach your own bar, like those quotes say: you learn something. I was thinking about you the other day and wishing we could have student taught together. It would have ROCKED! Good luck! I know you'll be awesome! =)

Mom said...

I'll be saying a little prayer for you all day tomorrow. Make sure to call me when you're done and fill me in! By the way, what's the blog you read that gives all the great advice??!!

Holland Hettinger said...

Good luck!!

Post a Comment