Friday, February 21, 2014

all things

I was playing a game with my cousins.  For the sake of ease, let's call this game Scattergories.  It wasn't, but it was similar enough that now you all know what I'm talking about without having to read a lengthy description.

Anyway.

One of the cousins was on the low end of the game's age recommendation, so some of the questions were a struggle for her.  At one point, she threw her pencil down and said, "I can't do this!"  Her sister argued that she could, but she stood her ground.  "No, I can't!  I can't do these."  To which her sister replied, "(her name here)!  Yes, you can!  'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me!'"

About Scattergories.

I was shocked at her reference.  I was taken aback that anyone would use a scripture when encouraging someone to play Scattergories with them.

but I was also impressed.  That application of scripture really resounded with me; it meant much more than whether someone was doing well at Scattergories.  It was a strong, in-my-face reminder that the Gospel applies to every situation.  EVERY one.  And, I'll be honest, to hear someone's outburst that God can even help us play Scattergories showed me how much faith she had and how little I have when it comes to unimportant situations.

No, that's not right.  I have a strong belief that God helps in everything.  I just never thought of something like a party game being something to ask for help over.  But why not?  He cares.  Why not ask?




___________________________________________

"'...It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.'"
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

0 comments:

Post a Comment